The New 911 Carrera
Select an icon below to jump to a different page: [about this applet]
"A 911 Carrera is about driving in its pure state. It's about agility
and handling so responsive to your reflexes that the car no longer
seems to be merely a machine, but an extension of yourself. A sixth
sense, if you will. The feeling of driving at its most precise, most
exquisite moment. It is a moment that has lasted for nearly three decades,
a moment shared by those who have taken the time to experience a 911."
- Engine Design: Air cooled, lightweight aluminium alloy, horizontally opposed 6-cylinder,
crossflow, hemispherical combustion chambers, 2 valves-per-cylinder, dual
resonant induction, rear mounted.
- Displacement: 3.6 litre
- Horsepower (SAE net): 282 @ 6,100 rpm
- Torque: 250 lb-ft @ 5,250 rpm
- Compression ratio: 11.3:1
- Transmission: 6-speed manual transaxle or 4-speed Tiptronic
- Suspension, Front: Independent MacPherson struts, aluminum alloy
lower control arms, coil srpings, stabilizer bar, negative steering roll radius.
- Suspension, Rear: Independent multi-link with LSA, self-stabilizing
tow characteristics, stabilizer bar.
- Brake System: Power assisted, dual circuit, four-piston aluminum alloy
fixed caliper, revised anti-lock braking system (ABS 5), vented cross-drilled
discs, (front 11.97in./rear 11.77in.)
- Steering: Rack and pinion, force sensitive hydraulically assisted.
- Tires & Wheels: Std. Cast Alloy-Front:
7Jx16, 205/55ZR 16. Std. Cast-Alloy-Rear: 9Jx16, 245/45ZR 16.
- Acceleration: 0-60 mph in 5.4 seconds
- Top Track Speed: 171 mph (168 mph Tiptronic)
- Wheelbase: 89.4 in.
- Overall length: 167.7 in
- Track-Front/Rear: 55.3 in./56.9 in.
- Fuel Consumption City/Highway: 17/25
- Base Price: $63,750 (US)
- Exterior Featurs
- 10-year limited anti-perforation corrosion warranty.
- 2-year, new vehicle limited warranty with unlimited mileage,
including the Porsche roadside assistance program.
- 26-step paint process with 3 year limited warranty.
- Aerodynamic, redesigned front and rear bumpers.
- Unique modular poly-ellipsoid headlights with variable focus
and washer system.
- Digital electronic fog lights integrated into the front apron.
- Larger, speed-dependent extendible rear spoiler.
- Redesigned third brake light.
- Full-power top on Cabriolet with automatic latching and unlatching.
- Electric sliding sunroof on coupe.
- Heated windshield washer nozzles.
- Electrically adjustable & heated outside rearview mirrors.
- Windshield antenna with interference suppression & signal amplifier.
- Wheel anti-theft device.
- Two-stage rear window defroster on coupe.
- Redesigned outside door handles, painted to match exterior color.
- Interior Features
- 2 + 2 seating.
- Automatic temperature control air conditioning with a
new particle filtering system.
- Redesigned leather steering wheel.
- Driver and front passenger ait bag supplemental restraint system.
- Interia reel front/rear, 3-point seat belts.
- Energy absorbing steering column.
- Brake pad wear indicators.
- Standard vented cross-bored disc brakes.
- ABS 5.
- Redesigned dual wiper system with variable delay.
- Engine improvements
- VarioramTM induction system
- Internal engine and DME changes for more power and torque
- New exhause tips for all non-Turbo models
- 282 horsepower
- OBD II on-board diagnostic system for all models
- Optional 18 inch Turbo-look wheels
- Litronic gas discharge headlights (standard on Turbo, optional
on all other models)
- Center brake light integrated in rear edge of roof (Coupe)
- Infrared interior anti-theft system (optional)
- Folding key integrated immobilizer system
- New radios
- Three new exterior colors
- One new interior color
"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Or
a new 911."
Click here to download a recent advertisement (32K)
"There is a guy who has what many believe to
be the best job in the entire world and there's
really nothing any of us can do about it short
of flying to Germany and asking for an application
to become a test driver for Porsche which
makes less sense that just buying one for
yourself and testing it in your own sweet time."
Back to the main Porsche page
Go to the Porsche 911 section of the picture archive
Last updated July 16, 1996